Thursday, December 10, 2009

Routines/Schedules...

I've really been struggling with laziness lately (it didn't help that I had a cold this past week...but really that was just a good excuse).  I have a really hard time having a routine/schedule to my day.  I don't know what it is about a routine/schedule that makes it so hard for me...I think deep down I just don't want to have one and I don't like them (only because I think I have freedom NOT having one).  But I also know how freeing and relaxing and really good for my kids it would be to have a set, yet flexible, routine to our days.  I find that I do pretty good, when I set my mind to it, at establishing a routine during my husband's work week, but as soon as he is home it just gets lost(he has 3 days off in a row and not typical weekend days). 

What makes developing a routine so difficult?  Why can't I just do it?  I'm not really sure.  Maybe I'm just not controlled enough with my time...and if that is the case, then I need to work on it.  I want to have time to get "chores" done, plus spend time with the kids and have time to myself(whether to blog, read, knit or go to the gym).  Maybe I'm just against them...and if this is the case then I just need to get over it and get on with it all ready.

I think I'm going to start blogging about setting our family up on a routine...and day to day what that looks like...or maybe week to week how it pans out.  

Some things I think (or know) would be good for me(and the family):
-going to the gym in the morning...but working this around guy smiley's morning nap.
-doing "chores" first thing...maybe during said morning nap(having daily and weekly chores)
-reading time...the princess has a reading bear that needs filling in daily for preschool...so we need to start having a set reading time(more can be added if we want, of course)
-going to the library once a week
-shower at the gym
-grocery store once a week
-meal planning once a week
-craft/art time daily
-getting up before the kids...having breakfast, reading my Bible and praying, waking up:-)
-going to bed before 11pm every night
-making dinner throughout the day or earlier in the day instead of winging it as dh is on his way home.

So I think I need to work on one or two things at a time because I know if I try and do it all I will burn out and then just give up...so I think for tomorrow I want to be up before the kids which for me will mean being up and at 'em by 7:15am.  I also want to be home during guy smiley's morning naptime because we need to work on his sleep schedule badly...so during that time I will do my "chores" and read to the kids.

What do you do?  Do you have a routine or not?  If so (or not) how does that work for your family?  If you have a weekly chore list...what do you do on what day?

No comments:

Post a Comment