Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Gluten/Wheat Free

I'm currently reading Gluten-Free Girl by Shauna James Ahern.  I am thoroughly enjoying it.  It is a refreshing perspective on eating gluten free.  The way food opened up to her when she was diagnosed with celiac's is opening my mind up to a new idea.  I've always looked at the restriction, at the negative, at the fact that I am not able to eat wheat/gluten products anymore...which means no bagels, english muffins, toast, cookies, pies, and the list goes on.  The only thing is, that's not true.  Yes, I can't eat those things that have wheat flour and gluten in them, but there are alternatives and I can learn to cook food that is naturally wheat/gluten free or learn to bake using different ingredients.  I just need to change my perspective.

I guess I should give a bit of history for me as to why I would be reading and learning about living gluten free.  Last year the kids and I had sensitivity testing done and found that we were all sensitive to wheat and gluten(and I'm pretty sure my husband is as well, as is my father-in-law).  I was 3 months pregnant at the time and just getting out of the morning sickness stage so I didn't devote much effort to keeping us wheat and gluten free.  Once I felt better I was able to keep the kids off of it for a month or so but then the holidays came and we went completely back to our old way of eating.  The only problem was that I noticed how differently the kids behaved(they were much calmer) and how much better their skin was when they were off of wheat/gluten.

So now I'm back, a year later, at square one trying to make a plan to keep us all off of wheat/gluten.  When it comes to the kids my motivation is strong and I am fairly easily able to follow through with it.  But when it comes to myself I fail miserably.  But I want to know what I feel like without it.  I want to be able to go completely off of wheat/gluten for an extended period of time and see how my body feels.  So I'm gearing up.  I'm reading as much as I can on the subject.  I'm trying to figure out how to cook differently and I'm wanting to learn to like cooking.

For now, I'll just read...as to when I, myself, will take the plunge into the world of wheat/gluten free...that is still unknown.

No comments:

Post a Comment